Tuesday, March 3, 2009

The AMAZING Tex!!!

I'd like to take a moment to introduce Tex. Tex is an Australian Cattle Dog who was originally brought into this world to serve a purpose. His mom picked him to be her teammate in agility. Unfortunately, as Tex began to mature, he started displaying less than stellar behaviors. I'll never forget the first time I met Tex. His mom brought him in for a consultation because she was having difficulty with his dog aggression. Apparently, any time another dog was in site, sweet, adorable little Tex turned into Mr. Hyde.

During his first visit to the Paw, Tex seemed apprehensive. I approached him and he slunk into a little ball. I walked away from him to grab a collar and just as I moved, he jumped out and nipped me in the back of the leg. Mom was shocked and concerned. I knew this meant we had a much deeper issue to deal with.

We got to work. Mom was and still is one of the most dedicated dog owners I have met - she will do anything to make sure Tex rehabilitates and she follows through with every piece of advice she is given. Soon, Tex began regularly attending our anti-agrgession social and now, he has graduated to be able to socialize with our daycare friends!


We still have quite a bit of work to do on Mr. Tex but mom shared something very exciting with me today. She has been taking Tex sheepherding and apparently, our slinky little chicken has been showing another side of himself. At his lessons, he has been great with the other dogs, a star with the sheep and has shown some confidence we aren't used to seeing out of him....

Tex reminded me of just how valuable dog sports can be. You see, in getting your dog out and having fun with them while teaching them new things, you are actually strengthening your bond with them and building confidence. I encourage everyone with a dog to check out dog sports. Even if your dog isn't the fastest or the most agile, I know there is a dog sport out there for you. From flyball to agility to dock diving and lure coursing, dog sports are taking the world by storm....and rightfully so! If you are interested in checking out some dog sports - competitively or just for fun - email us and we will be happy to help you choose a dog sport that suits your pooch! Heck, I have even been looking into new sports for my dogs to particpate in!
Great job Tex! Your family at Metropawlitan Dog is proud of you!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home