Tuesday, July 1, 2008

The Dangers of GDV

Its time for the BLOG to take a quick turn in a more serious direction (Don't worry! The Daycare Fun will be back soon!)...

I want to write today about a condition called GDV or Gastric Dilatation and Volvulus. This condition is life threatening and typically occurs in deep chested dogs. The condition has been seen in Great Danes, Mastiffs, Weimaraners (Jake, listen up!), Rottweilers, St. Bernards, Irish Wolfhounds, German Shepherds, Standard Poodles, Basset Hounds (Seymour and Orson...pay close attention!), Pit Bulls, Dobermans (MJ and Kylie...this is for you), Labradors (Baisey, Gracie, Milo and Java) and other deep chested dogs.

The reason I chose to write about this horrific condition is (1) because it is VERY life threatening and (2) my own dog, Kira, went through it yesterday.

Sunday night was like any other night at my house. I spent the day at home with the dogs and at night we all curled up on the couch to watch a movie. Thank God I fell asleep on the couch. At about 3am, Kira, my great dane became restless. She tried to get up on the couch to sleep, tossed and turned for a moment, and then got down. She tried repeatedly to find a comfortable resting spot. I ignored her - I thought she was just being a big baby and wanted ME to move out of HER spot on the couch. I went back to sleep. A short while later, she tried to throw up. Again, I didn't think anything of it. She has thrown up a thousand times before, typically after she eats the grapefruit off of the tree out back. Again, I went back to sleep.

Early Monday AM, I woke up tired because Kira kept me up all night. I let the dogs outside to use the bathroom when I noticed Kira was not right. She went to the corner of the yard and laid down. I called her to come and she tried, laying down about half way across the yard. I immediately called the vet. As I was on hold, I went and pulled her inside and tried to give her a treat...she wouldn't take it. Then I pressed her belly and realized it was swelling up. I immediately hung up the phone (I hadn't even spoken to my vet yet), threw on some slippers and drove her frantically to the closest Emergency Vet. Having a deep chested dog, I knew the symptoms of Bloat and GDV so I didn't want to waste any time.

When I got to the vet, the diagnosis was confirmed - Kira had GDV. Her stomach had torsioned 180 degrees.

"Canine acute gastric dilatation-volvulus (GDV) is a medical and surgical emergency that is seen most commonly in large and giant breed dogs. The syndrome is characterized by accumulation of gas in the stomach and malpositioning of the stomach with obstruction of eructation and pyloric outflow (In English - the stomach flips and ties off at the ends obstructing blood and oxygen flow). Subsequent systemic effects of GDV including hypovolemic shock, endotoxemic shock, respiratory compromise, concurrent metabolic acidosis and alkalosis, and reperfusion injury are all implicated in the resultant death of affected dogs. Though this disease has been studied for years, the exact etiology and pathogenesis is still not clear." - http://www.addl.purdue.edu/newsletters/2005/Summer/canine-acd.htm

Kira was rushed into emergency surgery with a 50/50 chance. Everything depended on how long she had had the condition. If left untreated for too long, the lack of oxygen and blood flow causes necrosis or death of the tissues of the stomach, greatly decreasing the chance of survival. As you can imagine, I was terrified.

The next day was the longest of my life. Luckily, I caught it fast enough and there was no necrosis of Kira's tissues. She bounced back from surgery and is home with me now. We still have a ways to go in her recovery but I feel like the worst is over.

The reason I wanted to share this story with you all was to educate you on the symptoms of Bloat or GDV so you are prepared and can take the appropriate actions should you be faced with a situation like mine.

Signs of Bloat Include:

PHASE1
SYMPTOMS:
1. Pacing, restlessness, panting and salivating.
2. Unproductive attempts to vomit (every 10-20 minutes).
3. Abdomen exhibits fullness and beginning to enlarge.
ACTIONS:Call Veterinarian to advise of bloat case enroute. Transport dog to Veterinarian immediately.

PHASE 2
SYMPTOMS:
1. Very restless, whining, panting continuously, heavy salivating.
2. Unproductive attempts to vomit (every 2-3 minutes).
3. Dark red gums.
4. High heart rate (80 to 100 BPM).
5. Abdomen is enlarged and tight, emits hollow sound when thumped.
ACTIONS: Apply first aid if Veterinarian care is more than 10 minutes away.
Then, transport dog to Veterinarian immediately.

PHASE 3
SYMPTOMS:
1. Gums are white or blue

2. Dog unable to stand or has a spread-legged, shaky stance.
3. Abdomen is very enlarged.
4. Extremely high heart rate (100 BPM or greater)and weak pulse.
ACTIONS: Death is imminent! Apply first aid immediately. Transport dog to Veterinarian IMMEDIATELY (even while applying first aid if possible).

Kira began to bloat, or develop gas overnight. In the morning, the stomach torsioned and she went from Phase 1 to Phase 3 in a matter of 30 minutes. When I left the house, she was just moving from Phase I to Phase II and by the time we got to the vet (about 5 minutes away), her blood pressure dropped, she was unable to stand and her abdomen was enlarged.

If you have a breed prone to this condition, please educate your family on the symptoms. If you suspect your dog is exhibiting symptoms of bloat, DON'T WAIT...seek veterinary advice IMMEDIATELY. Much better to pay the $50 office visit and find out its nothing than to pay the $4,000 for life saving surgery.....


1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm happy to read that you were able to catch the condition early and that Kira is now home with you recovering. My husband and I went through a similar situation with our 12 yr. old cocker spaniel, Kinno, only his bloating was caused by low albumin protein in his blood due to chronic inflammation of his bowels. But it was a difficult two days when they were trying to diagnose him, and I felt helpless and terrified. I noticed the same symptoms that you did: he couldn't get comfortable, he was lethargic, and when I looked at his belly, it was tight and bloated. Luckily I looked on the internet to look up the symptoms and saw that he needed to be seen right away. Kinno is home with us now after having had an endoscopy and being prescribed his meds.
Take care!

July 5, 2008 at 9:15 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home